What is the MaxiMiseR project?
The EU has pledged to cut greenhouse gas emissions by at least 40% by 2030, and by 80-95% by 2050.
EU Member States had to produce ‘Low Carbon Development Strategies’ (LCDS) by 2015, to show how they will cut their emissions long-term.
The Paris Agreement on climate change also requires 2050 low-carbon strategies. In the EU, the relevant legislation - the proposed Energy Union governance regulation - is being negotiated. But the Commission's proposal is not yet up to the job.
Ensuring national 2050 climate strategies are ambitious and developed in a transparent way - with the participation of civil society and stakeholders - is key to meeting the EU’s emissions reductions goals.
Helping make these climate plans as strong as possible - and seeing how they can be financed through the EU Emissions Trading System - is the aim of the MaxiMiseR project.
What are the main project activities?
The MaxiMiser project is doing two key things:
- We have analysed how Emissions Trading System auctioning revenues are currently spent. Read our press release with the main findings, see the infographic (on right) and check out the online tool.
Our report makes recommendations on how revenues can better support the implementation of Low Carbon Development Strategies.
- We have evaluated EU 2050 climate strategies. This is so Member States can share knowledge and best practise and improve their own strategies. See our ranking (on right), read our press release, and check out the report.
The MaxiMiseR team is working with stakeholders:
- The External Reference Group
This group brings together representatives of Member State governments, business, industry and civil society. It ensures the credibility and robustness of all project outputs. This is a closed group.
- Cooperating with Member States
Our primary audience here is policy makers and technical experts working in Member States on long term climate policy planning tools and reporting. Through workshops and meetings, MaxiMiseR will offer them the opportunity for greater technical collaboration, for the promotion of good governance and fostering positive change in relation to decarbonisation by sharing knowledge and best practices.
- Bringing together civil society organisations and the business community on long-term low carbon development strategies
We will work with civil society organisations and the business community to establish a common position on these long term strategies for decarbonisation.
Read the background to the MaxiMiseR project